Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC 4871: Signature Expiration

2008-01-12 02:26:33
John Levine schrieb:
If there was an optional expiration date contained in the _domainkey DNS entry besides the public key instead, a mail admin could react in the short-term to e.g. abuse of the according private key without interfering the validation of signatures before this expiration date.

If I were a bad guy, why wouldn't I simply forge a date in my spam
before the expiration date?
John, I would agree if the expiration date (x-param) was compared to the signature timestamp (t-param).
But the RFC says (see x-param):

     Signatures MAY be considered
     invalid if the verification time at the verifier is past the
     expiration date.  The verification time should be the time that
     the message was first received at the administrative domain of
     the verifier if that time is reliably available; otherwise the
     current time should be used.

Regards,
Flo