Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC 4871: Signature Expiration

2008-01-14 03:20:45
John L schrieb:
If there was an optional expiration date contained in the _domainkey DNS entry besides the public key instead, a mail admin could react in the short-term to e.g. abuse of the according private key without interfering the validation of signatures before this expiration date.
As best I understand it, your suggestion above seems to be saying that an admin expects his signature to be compromised at some future time, so he tells people to stop believing the signature at that future time. Certainly, if the key has already been compromised, he should just cancel the key.

I was thinking about a key revokation in the retrospective: an admin recognizes misuse beginning at time t in the past, so he can set x=t. I am aware the recommendation to validate DKIM signatures shortly after mail reception. But I could imagine some extraordinary situations where the validation has to be suspended. Although this change (expiration date combined with public key in the DNS) would have little impact in practice, it seems to me it creates a more stable system.

FMI: is there somewhere a recommendation for the TTLs of <selector>._domainkey and _ssp._domainkey (what is considered as the optimum between signer friendly, short TTLs and verifier friendly, long TTLs) ?

Best regards,
Florian