Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: ISSUE 1525 -- Restriction to posting by first Author breaks email semantics

2008-01-19 07:46:48
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:27:07 -0000, Arvel Hathcock <arvel(_dot_)hathcock(_at_)altn(_dot_)com> wrote:

hi Jim (and everyone)!

 > I'm still missing a suggestion for what we use when the Sender header
 > field does not match any of the addresses in the From.  Do we then
 > revert to First Author?  All Authors?

The idea of checking SSP on up to N From: domains is the only suggestion I've seen so far and I can't think of anything better.

And indeed it is the only one that will even work.

Suppose the Bad Guy owns the domain n.tv (and maybe got it through a dodgy registrar willing to take his money and ignore his subsequent badness).

Suppose he has a signing key for that domain, properly registered in the DNS, and maybe he even publishes an SSP, with the 'strict'est possible policy.

He sends mail with
    From: "Natwest Bank Security"@n.tv,
<security(_at_)natwest(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
(I chose Natwest, because it is the current prime phishing target in *.uk at the moment). Suppose Natwest has published the 'strict'est possible SSP - it has no effect because, as the Bad Guy knows, only the first From address is looked at ...

So the ONLY method that will work is to lookup the SSP for ALL the From addressas AND the Sender as well (though usually the Sender will already be covered somewhere in the From). And there better be signatures to cover ALL of the SSP policies that show up.

A few commments:
1. We all agree that multiple From addresses are rare in practice, so the burden of the extra DNS lookups will hardly matter.

2. Unless someone tries to do a DOS attack against the DNS system that way (but there are easier ways to DOS the DNS system). A little common sense by verifying agents should prevent such attacks.

3. If Amazon and Ebay (both with 'strict' policies) want to send out a joint message From: them both, then it will need to be signed by both of them. How they arrange to do that is their poblem :-).

4. With this sort of system, it may be necessary to rethink just what policies we choose to be able to express in the SSP.

So, if the SSP algorithm returns Suspicious for any one of the domains found in From: then let that be the final SSP result (in fact, further SSP checks could be skipped at this point). In other words, if even one of the domains listed on the From: requires a verifiable signature and that signature is NOT present then the message is Suspicious even if the result of SSP for one or more of the other domains is non-Suspicious.

+1

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.