Re: ***SPAM-3*** Re: [ietf-dkim] What is your view on these three SSP topics?

2008-01-23 05:59:34
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:43:43 -0000, Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Jan 22, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Charles Lindsey wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:32:28 -0000, Douglas Otis <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

1) To be SSP "strict" or "all" compliant, the identity associated with a signature:

Add:
e) Each entity with a "strict" or "all" SSP within the following headers
    From, Sender, Resent-From, Resent-Sender
must be matched by an associated signature (if, in some complicated case,
this requires the presence of several signatures, then so be it).

What benefit is derived by imposing an explicit i= parameter requirement on an originating header for "all" or "strict" compliance?

I don't know, but what has that got to do with my suggestion above?

RFC 4871 does not require signatures to identify specific entities, and may produce ambiguous signatures lacking an i= local-part.

A signature identifies a domain. By implication, it identifies any-local-part(_at_)that-domain(_dot_)

For SSP to impose a requirement that signatures _MUST_ identify specific entities is beyond the WG charter.

And nobody has suggested any such thing. Please look at my proposed additional "e)".

You (a verifier) see a bunch of addresses in a bunch of From/Sender/Resent-From/Resent-Sender headers.

You also see a bunch of valid signatures on behalf of an assortment of domains.

So you look through the domains that are signed for, and you tick off all the addresses in all those headers that contain those domains (well, maybe only for the headers explicitly covered by the signature, where "From" is alwys covered, of course).

If, when you are done, you have ticked off all the available addresses, then there is nothing to be suspicious about. But, if any address has not been ticked, you are entitled to ask "why not?".

So, for each unticked address, you look up the SSP, and if you find some of them are 'strict' or 'all', then your suspicions are aroused. What happens next depends on exactly how we define 'all' and 'strict', including how they apply to the various headers (and it may depend also upon your local policies and reputations that may be to hand, but those considerations are beyond our scope).

As to whether we need to consider all of From/Sender/Resent-From/Resent-Sender, we can discuss that. But consider, supposing Ebay has a 'strict' SSP, how could
   Sender: somebody(_at_)ebay
legitimately come about and not get signed by Ebay?

Or, suppose someone outside sends email to someone(_at_)ebay(_dot_)com who then decides to resend it to someone outside. How could that NOT get signed by Ebay on the way out?

2) SSP references should be done for:

a) Only the first From email-address. (as currently defined)
-1

b) All From email-addresses.
+1

Add:
bb) All From email-addresses PLUS the Sender address, if any

+2

How many From email-addresses should be allowed?

As many as the verifier can be bothered to check. If he sees 1000 From addresses he may assume it is just a DOS attack and discard the whole message with no further checks.

What benefit is derived imposing policy for Sender headers?

Would a From header referenced policy override a Sender header referenced policy?

See my Ebay example above.

Currently, a small percentage of emails are signed using DKIM. Sender header policy requirements substantially increases overhead related to SSP.

In 99.99% of cases the sender domain will already be in one of the Froms, so no additional overhead.

3) Keys restricted by a g= parameter are treated as valid and are:

Add:
a) SSP "all" or "strict" compliant only when on-behalf-of a From, Sender,
Resent-From or Resent-Sender header email address.

Allowing compliance with headers other than From permits a holder of a g= restricted key to sign a message purporting to be "From" anyone within the signing domain. ...

Where do you get that? Please provide an example.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.