Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-iab-dns-choices-05 and tree climbing (fwd)

2008-03-02 08:27:31
John Levine wrote:
[ resent with reasonable MIME headers ]

This note seems relevant to DKIM.  This draft says, predictably, that
the way you add new data types to the DNS is with a new RR type, and
all other approaches are ill-advised.

It also says that DNS tree climbing is always bad.  We might want to
reconsider whether the small amount of tree climbing specified in -03
is worth the hassle it will doubtless cause on the route from final
draft to RFC.

After implementing this, I can say that it seems to be mostly working
and that
what's mostly interfering is wildcarded SPF records. I'm guessing that
the deployers of SPF are likely to reasonably overlap with the deployers
of DKIM. On the other hand, I haven't ground the numbers to get any
statistics as to how much we should care.

       Mike
R's,
John