[ietf-dkim] ASP 4.2.2, Step 2: name existence check

2008-03-03 06:34:48
G'day,

While reviewing the posts in response to the iab draft, I am finding myself
unclear about the reasons for Step 2, of the query procedure in ASP's Section
4.2.2.  I'm pretty sure this is not merely a caffeine-deficiency-based
question...

      What is the functional or security reason for verifying that the domain
exists, in terms of ASP.

I can imagine obvious reasons, outside of ASP, but those would not need to be
documented in the ASP.

At the least, it would help to have the document include text that explains the
benefit of this step.

Thanks.

d/
--