Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: various overview editorial suggestions

2008-03-26 15:51:11
The list of editorial comments is getting really long, and it's hard to
track which ones are getting accepted into the document. I hope there
will be a chance to review the document once all the various suggestions
are incorporated before it is considered final.

One particular instance, in reference to Stephen's comment #6 on Section
1.1, 1st paragraph, I disagree with the proposed amendment (see below).

I could go along with removing the single sentence "It can also be
created by an independent service that is providing assistance to a
handler of the message.", but I do not agree with the additional
editing.

Signing by the author domain is certainly one example of signature, but
far from the only one and even "typical" may be a stretch. And I think
it's important to call out the fact that the domain used for signing may
be independent from that of the author or even that of the signer, since
it may be delegated. The whole point of DKIM is that it allows any
entity to take responsibility for the message, and I think it's
important to retain the text that makes that clear.

In reference to Stephen's comment #2 on the Abstract, I'm not clear why
making an intermediary or agent parenthetical is beneficial. The point
is that it enables stronger authentication of the signer, and the text
in question is just enumerating the possible signing entities.

Ellen

                #6 Section 1.1, 1st para:

                The first part of the 1st sentence seems like a
tautology - who else could
                create signatures other then someone who handles the
message?
                What does the "it" refer to in:  "It can also be created
by an independent
                service that is providing assistance to a handler of the
message." I don't
                understand the sentence basically.  I'd also suggest
deleting the following two
                sentences.

                That'd mean changing:

                "  DKIM signatures can be created by a direct handler of
a message, either as
                its author or as an intermediary.  It can also be
created by an independent
                service that is providing assistance to a handler of the
message.  Whoever does
                the signing chooses the domain name to be used as the
basis for later
                assessments.  Hence, the reputation associated with that
domain name is an
                additional basis for evaluating whether to trust the
message for delivery.  The
                owner of the domain name being used for a DKIM signature
is declaring that they
                accept responsibility for the message and may thus be
held accountable for it."

                to:

                "  DKIM signatures can be created by any handler of a
message, either its
                author or an intermediary.  In a typical use of DKIM,