Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: protecting a domain name vs. protecting a domain tree

2008-04-09 15:00:16
 Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:27:27 -0700
From: dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net
To: eric+dkim(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)org
CC: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: protecting a domain name vs. protecting a
domain tree

I believe the Step 2 query only makes sense for ADSP in the context of
covering
an entire sub-tree, but that ADSP does not describe the larger framework into
which Step 2 fits, for accomplishing that goal.

d/
--
   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking

Dave,

I think this misstates what that query actually accomplishes. What step 2 tells
you is whether the thing you are looking at even is a domain and thus a
candidate to have a domain policy. In the example Eric gave the record he
mentioned would still only cover example.com. If a.b.example.com existed and
you wanted to cover an entire sub-tree a.b.example.com would still need to have
its own policy. Since some.thing.example.com doesn't exist I am not sure it
makes sense to say it is part of that sub-tree. Even as written there is no
indication that anything about the policy of example.com covers
some.thing.example.com nor even any indication that there is such a policy.
What the spec says is to return an error.

I think a cleaner way to express what I think you get out of step 2 (though a
less efficient algorithm I suspect) would be to make step 2 step 1 and add some
text around the error saying that searching for domain policies for anything
that is not a domain is not within the scope of this document.

Robert