Re: [ietf-dkim] Are subdomains like parent domains?

2008-05-01 15:51:50
John Levine wrote:
But I have to say, without any sort of domain blanket/coverage
option, it seems like something is really missing here.

I'm seeing an implicit assumption that if someone has an opinion about
mail from foo.com, they will have a similar opinion of mail from
subdomains a.foo.com or a.b.foo.com, or a.b.c.foo.com.  I've been
thinking about the mail I actually see, and I am having great
difficulty finding even a small set of real life scenarios where that
is true.

When you refer to "an opinion" it sounds like you're referring to some
sort of reputation or other state information being maintained for each
domain.  We have been trying to make DKIM free of such dependencies.  I
fully expect that reputations, opinions, and accreditations will often
be used in the big-picture evaluation of email, but DKIM/ADSP should be
an input to that process, not dependent on it.

-Jim