Re: [ietf-dkim] Are subdomains like parent domains?

2008-05-05 15:06:38
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 07:58 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

John Levine wrote:
But I have to say, without any sort of domain blanket/coverage
option, it seems like something is really missing here.

I'm seeing an implicit assumption that if someone has an opinion about
mail from foo.com, they will have a similar opinion of mail from
subdomains a.foo.com or a.b.foo.com, or a.b.c.foo.com.  I've been
thinking about the mail I actually see, and I am having great
difficulty finding even a small set of real life scenarios where that
is true.

Good timing.  I had started thinking about the fact that DKIM's d= parameter
allows differentiating among (sub) domain names.

The premise is that these would have different reputations.  The last thing
one wants for that is a mechanism that groups them all together.

It would be nice that some BCP says d= should be treated as an opaque
value since I don't think the DKIM spec says such a thing.

--
:: Jeff Macdonald | Director of Messaging Technologies
:: e-Dialog | jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com