Re: [ietf-dkim] Are lookalike domains like parent domains?

2008-05-02 08:51:26

Arvel Hathcock wrote:
There are two kinds of "not found" responses in the DNS: NXDOMAIN and
NODATA.

NXDOMAIN (RCODE=3) means the name does not exist in DNS.  NODATA
(RCODE=0 + ANCOUNT=0) means the name is valid but no records of the
requested type were found.  We're only interested in the first one.

So, our side in the debate is not operating from a misunderstanding of
DNS as far as I can tell.

I understand the reason for the test to be verifying that the From: field
address is  (probably) valid.  That's an email semantic questions.

Looking for domain existence, rather than domain use of an email-related DNS
record, seems like a significantly less appropriate test, given the goal of
the test.

Why is it sufficient for the domain to have no RR relevant to email, just as
long as it has some RR?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker