Re: [ietf-dkim] Not an issue: multiple From headers

2008-06-18 18:03:26
Frank Ellermann wrote:
Hector Santos wrote:

If DKIM h= has from:to:subject:date: and one or more
of these fields are missing - BINGO - instance REJECT

Wait a moment, didn't DKIM support the concept of a
signed *absence* of certain header fields using h= ?

True, except From:, but I believe that just adds to the problem and had
always made me weary of DKIM adding too much pressure on receivers.
IOW, how long will perpetual failure going to be tolerated?  My theory,
not for long.

*In theory* it could make sense to add Reply-To and
Sender always to h=, no matter if they are present
or not,

Why?  Why put further confusion and ambiguity on receivers?  Why further
perpetuate a continued recognition of a lower payoff in DKIM analysis?
Why make the life the support people or whoever trying to make heads or
tails if a header was indeed part of the original hashing and integrity
expected to be maintain?   I can see it now - we will never know if a
SUBJECT or TO (which is not required by 2822) was part of the message or
not even if h= says there *might* be a header.  IMV, domains will be
stupid to risk playing games that only adds confusion with an already
complicated concept - a strategy you should expect to see from DKIM
exploiters.

because a Reply-To or Sender inserted later
could a bad idea or malicious.  A practical case is
Content-Type, present or absent, any modification
would be highly suspicious.

Agree.

But back to the OP's theory based on already long known experience by an
acquaintance, when key display headers are prepended, and the question
if this "our" problem.

Of course not, if you value the fundamental idea of mail integrity that
DKIM attempts to provide.  Its a moot point if there are headers that
will screw up the integrity.

But it is still a problem for the general receiver in terms of further
reducing the worth of DKIM calculations due to perpetual failure.

If a receiver wanted to save the day, it might want to apply 2nd
rehashing in case the first calculation failed based on the FIRST from:
field.  It might want to try the second to see if that the real From: field.

But its worth the effort?  Is it just as good to kick out (flag) the
first failure regardless of the reason?

When it comes with missing headers, thats a darn good check, and those
who suggest it is not, doesn't matter because DKIM or NO DKIM, systems
are doing it and a lot more will as the IETF continues to push 2822,
asking what servers support it and how much, etc, you are beginning to
see receivers actually kicking out mail based on invalid 2822 headers.

But again, remember To: is not required by 2822.  So its possible that a
DKIM h= including To: may failure to validate without violating 2822.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com