Re: [ietf-dkim] Escaping things in key/ADSP records

2008-10-29 20:55:02
DNS TXT records can contain multiple strings which we just concatenate to
form a complete key record.  That part's easily managed.  However some
people have taken it upon themselves to escape semi-colons for some
reason, presumably because some programs like "dig" do that in their
output, which in turn is done perhaps to disambiguate a literal semi-colon
with one that starts a comment in a zone file.

I find it hard to see this as anything other than a bug in whatever
scripts they're using to create their DNS records.  The DNS has counts
for all variable length fields, so there's never a need to escape
anything in the bits on the wire.

R's,
John