Re: [ietf-dkim] Escaping things in key/ADSP records

2008-10-30 05:01:59
+1

Many ISPs do not input records directly into the zone files. Their front end is
often a
web-based interface and get pre-processed by a system checking validity before
being
updated in the zone file automatically using script(s).
My ISP (as in, I am a client of theirs), one of the largest in the US, had to
migrate my
domain to their new nameservers because the legacy ones could not cope with the
; and the
underscore (_). Thankfully I took this up with them early enough for the new
nameservers
to have a front end allowing those characters, but it looks like they've used
the
backslash...

Aside from the aesthetics of the record, does the escape affect functionality?

Olivier

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Cc: <msk(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Escaping things in key/ADSP records

DNS TXT records can contain multiple strings which we just concatenate to
form a complete key record.  That part's easily managed.  However some
people have taken it upon themselves to escape semi-colons for some
reason, presumably because some programs like "dig" do that in their
output, which in turn is done perhaps to disambiguate a literal semi-colon
with one that starts a comment in a zone file.

I find it hard to see this as anything other than a bug in whatever
scripts they're using to create their DNS records.  The DNS has counts
for all variable length fields, so there's never a need to escape
anything in the bits on the wire.

R's,
John