Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC4871bis

2009-01-26 22:13:43
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:
note your reliance on "ISPs aware of this i= classification".  It means that
the mechanism won't scale, since we cannot assume that an arbitrary receiver
will be aware of an arbitrary signer's scheme.

The nice thing about i= is that it doesnt have to mean a thing except
to the sender emitting it.

The sender should not count on recipients knowing about i= or caring
about it enough to matter.

So - if a sender wants to sign i= besides d=.. they can count on a
feedback loop based on d= coming back to them and then separating this
loop email easily into multiple client domains based on the i= they
have inserted.  That's entirely internal to them and none of the ISP's
concern, if they choose to ignore that i=.

And if the ISP wants to sign i= to separate their mail streams up to
the receiver to decide whether they want to filter based on it or not.

i= can be freeform and any arbitrary value for all that I care (e&oe
some due diligence to stop mta exploit attempts being stuffed in i=)

--srs