Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM does not identify senders, and we have big semantic problems

2009-01-28 13:10:07
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:
You may well have opinions about the utility of a particular signer's
signature, and you might have an external reputation system that says
"foo.com only signs From: headers that they believe" but that is
external to DKIM.  If a mail manager as sophisticated as you has
trouble understanding the layering of DKIM, we're going to have
horrible problems explaining it to the masses.

I do understand that point. But I must confess that I made it to see
how far we can take this idea ..

It does seem, on the surface, functionally equivalent to some
statements that "i=" can be used to establish that its grandma sending
out email, with complex, almost social networking like reputation
models layered on top.  I'm just trying to reductio ad absurdum one
assertion or the other.

If you want a signature that identifies the individual user, there's
S/MIME and PGP.

Instead of i=?  In situations described where "author of the message"
= "user" = "grandma"?

--srs