Re: [ietf-dkim] Handling the errata after the consensus call

2009-03-09 14:06:31
MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Steve Atkins
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 12:23 PM
To: ietf-dkim WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Handling the errata after the consensus call

If you have a list of domains to check, you don't need any of the
ADSP infrastructure, just require valid DKIM signatures for any
mail coming from those domains on the list.

So any use case that uses a list (private or public) of domains
to apply the algorithm to is probably out of scope for ADSP.

And this is the reason I like to say that ADSP is the public mechanism
for achieving what is currently being performed through private
agreements.

Exactly.

The key reason is not just to get a standard [public] protocol, but
when the facet is turn on full blast (the adoption catches on like
wild fire),  there are going to be a lot of instant legacy spoofing
that can now be detected.

Once the HVDs or PVDs (high value or private value) begin to implement
DKIM, and IMO, I believe most will first explore DKIM with a private
exclusive usage mode of operation before applied it in other areas,
many compliant receivers will for the first time ever have a new level
of standard email information to work with to better deal with the
legacy spoofing.

I never questioned the idea that valid signatures (from good or bad
guys) still needed to be dealt with in other ways.   But that
classification is what we have today when receivers have no extra
information.

The concern I always had which was the purpose of the expired DSAP I-D
I wrote, was to protect the DKIM domain from the legacy fraud that
exist today.

This is where the HIGH PAYOFF will be.  This is where the DKIM DOMAIN
first trying it out will immediately see the benefit when there is
LESS fraud on other remote receivers and sites.  When users at these
other sites are less prone to getting spoofed mail.

Thats the payoff.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos