[ietf-dkim] Acronyms (was: Re: Moving to consensus...)

2009-03-11 11:56:27

Eliot Lear wrote:
1.  UA has an existing connotation that people will grab onto.  This in
itself is mnemonically confusing.

It's not confusing if the meaning is related.  The term "user or agent" is the
actual semantics of this value.  I read that as equivalent to "user agent".

The basic UA/MTA model is based on the concept of delegation.  Since DKIM was
created to delegate the task of claiming responsibility (from the author to the
entity doing the signing), I see it as a) consistent with the underlying
constructs of Internet mail and b) warranting terminology for the "user or
agent" component being similar.

2.  If you're going to add acronyms, let them be ones that either can be
easily pronounced without having to spell them out.

Like "TCP" and "SNMP" and "BGP"?

I prefer nicely pronounceable acronyms, too, but the absence of that pleasant
feature doesn't create a veto.

If you have a more pleasant acronym to suggest -- one that maintains
appropriate
semantics -- by all means do so.  Those of us who developed the SDID/UAID
acronyms also were not happy with the aesthetics of the choice, but this was
the
best we could come up with.

d/
--