Re: [ietf-dkim] Acronyms

2009-03-11 12:29:24

Eliot Lear wrote:
It's not confusing if the meaning is related.  The term "user or
agent" is the actual semantics of this value.  I read that as
equivalent to "user agent".

It's not.  A user agent is an application that acts on behalf of the
user but is not the user.

UAID is an identifier.  In computing contexts such as DKIM, all identifiers
refer to machine-based entities, possibly ones that are representing humans.

In other words, DKIM only ever deals with, or refers to, agents.

2.  If you're going to add acronyms, let them be ones that either can
be easily pronounced without having to spell them out.
Like "TCP" and "SNMP" and "BGP"?

I prefer nicely pronounceable acronyms, too, but the absence of that
pleasant feature doesn't create a veto.

And I'm not proposing a veto, Dave.  I'm saying, 'yuck, but okay'

Oh.  Missed the 'okay'.  Thanks for the clarification.

If you prefer, and I'm NOT standing on my head about this one, you could
go for something like Private-Context-IDentifier  (PCID), because I
think that is really what is being described here.

Do you think that that label would have obvious and useful meaning to an
average
administrator who is trying to configure DKIM modules?  I don't.  I'm not even
sure it's "really what is being described here" because the label is
sufficiently far from language used in DKIM discussions.  Note that I'm not
saying your assessment of meaning is wrong, but that it isn't obvious to me
that
it is right.  For an acronym, that ought to count against using it.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking