Re: [ietf-dkim] errata revision: opaque

2009-03-25 17:45:09
7.  RFC4871 Section 2.10 Agent or User Identifier (AUID)

    Old:
      A single, opaque value that identifies the agent or user on behalf
      of whom the SDID has taken responsibility.

    New:
      A single domain name that identifies the agent or user on behalf
      of whom the SDID has taken responsibility.  For DKIM
      processing, the name has only basic domain name semantics; any
      possible owner-specific semantics is outside the scope of DKIM.

While I'd think it would be dandy if the i= were a domain name, I
suspect I'd be outvoted, so perhaps it would be better to say
something like this:

       A string that identifies the agent or user on behalf of whom
       the SDID has taken responsibility.  The string has the syntax
       of an e-mail address where the domain part is the same as the
       SDID or a subdomain of the SDID.  For DKIM processing, the AUID
       has no semantics beyond validation that it complies with the
       syntactic rules; any possible owner-specific semantics is
       outside the scope of DKIM.

R's,
John