Re: [ietf-dkim] Escaping things in key/ADSP records

2009-08-03 13:33:20
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Steve Atkins
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:59 AM
To: DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Escaping things in key/ADSP records

For typical DKIM users though, commenting on an invalid field as "This
is probably invalid, but there might be an experimental I-D that's
using it, so maybe it's OK and receivers may or may not ignore it" is
going to be far more confusing than "This is wrong, fix it." - as if
they're using "r=" it's probably a typo or a misunderstanding, rather
than intentional use of an experimental field.

How about: "The following tags are non-standard and will likely be ignored by
most verifiers"?

Some of Tony's examples such as "h=rsa-sha1" can certainly be reported as
"invalid" as they are standardized tags with illegal values (i.e., the legal
values are enumerated).

It might be interesting to have an alternate checker that tracks the
additional fields being discussed in active I-Ds too, though. Is there
a registry of experimental fields or list of I-Ds anywhere?

Alas, no.  And it would be difficult, I think, to try to corral people into
using one in general (though the audience is currently pretty small so for now
it's a practical idea).

-MSK