Re: [ietf-dkim] The mystery of third party signatures

2009-10-07 17:35:09

----- "Barry Leiba" <barryleiba(_dot_)mailing(_dot_)lists(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Mike says...
All of this is rather academic though: the big guys are signing now
because they can
find some biz justification to do so. Until that biz justification
percolates down,
it doesn't really make much difference what we do. When it does, the
DNS "problem"
will evaporate.

I think this is really the bottom line.  Deployment difficulties and
delays always show up with new things.  If the new thing becomes
popular, the difficulties go away, and we wonder why we ever had
trouble with them.

S/MIME has been brought up as an example of the difficulty, and it
actually helps show how this works: there isn't much trouble with
S/MIME any more, not directly.  Most mail programs support it now
(alas, not Gmail), and the level of interoperability is good.  The
trouble now isn't with S/MIME, but with certificate distribution and
management.  There's also very little need for most people to use
S/MIME with most of their email.

Which was exactly my point, the implementation part of s/mime at the user level
is so cumbersome that no ones bother. The defection of the NOGs (and other
groups) from the IETF removes a certain level of reality check to somehow good
protocols.

Similarly, it seems to me, for DKIM to work on mailing list, mailman would need
to work in a very specific configuration that no mailing list is currently
using.