Re: [ietf-dkim] Case for ADSP "dkim=except-mlist"

2009-10-18 09:01:15
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, hector wrote:
I don't quite understand your suggestion. Who is creating this
DKIM=except-mail ADSP++ record?  The Author Domain or the Mailing list
Server?
The header From: domain, as always.

Who owns, creates, maintains, updates this Global White List you speak
of?
Now, this is why dkim=except-mlist-on-global-whitelist is not low-hanging
fruit like dkim=except-mlist.

But the Global Whitelist was not intended as a practical suggestion so
much as a rhetorical device in my argument that dkim=except-mlist can't be
improved upon, despite the fact that it leaves big ISPs (who don't know
what lists their users subscribe to) high and dry.

Basically, it seems inescapable to me that reliable forgery detection
requires the kind of mailserver knowledge that only vanity domains have.
One end of the connection can be a big, ignorant ISP, but either the
recipient or sender mailserver must be aware of all mailinglist
subscriptions.

If neither sender signer nor recipient validator knows which mailinglists
the users use, they are vulnerable to spammers who pretend to be mailing
lists.  Neither SPF nor a hypothetical ADSP-like protocol that covers
will be on enemy territory.

A global whitelist is the obvious answer to that problem.  But since the
GW can't list forgeable mailing lists (since all a spammer needs is a
single forgeable mailing list to spam everyone who trusts the GW), it will
in practice never be able to cover all the real mailinglists people
actually use.  So a sender can only signal (in its ADSP) the validator to
apply the GW, if no user subscribes to an untrusted list and the admin
*knows this*.

Note: If we *accept* the onerous requirements of the GW -- that the sender
mailserver has to be informed of all subscriptions, and that some
cooperation from the listservers is required, I can see better solutions
than the GW.

But I still think it best to drop the costs on the receiver side with
except-mlist.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>