Re: [ietf-dkim] Mailing list reality check

2010-08-04 13:42:08

On Aug 4, 2010, at 9:51 AM, John Levine wrote:

I'd like to back up a minute and try to understand better what (if any)
problem we're trying to solve here.  So here is a straw poll.

Assuming you do any sorting of inbound mail at all, how do you treat
mail from lists to which you have subscribed?

A) Use the From: address (or something that identifies the contributor)
as the primary sort criterion

B) Use the List-ID: (or something that identifies the list) as the
primiary sort criterion

C) Something else

It is my impression that everyone does B, but maybe I'm wrong.

C).

List-ID is a great thing to sort on, but I also sort (and, more to the
point, filter) based on From address both before and after looking
at the List-ID.

So the sorting criteria is From address, followed by List-ID,
followed by From address.

I can sort with perfectly acceptable accuracy on all these things
without any sort of authentication needed. If the MLM were to DKIM
sign the List-ID: and From: fields that would be nice, but it's not
essential.

Cheers,
  Steve