Re: [ietf-dkim] Mailing list reality check

2010-08-04 14:23:09
Assuming you do any sorting of inbound mail at all, how do you treat
mail from lists to which you have subscribed?

A) Use the From: address (or something that identifies the contributor)
as the primary sort criterion

B) Use the List-ID: (or something that identifies the list) as the
primiary sort criterion

C) Something else

for myself: (C)

I started sorting my inbound email into different folders on a per-list basis
back in 1995 or so, and that predated RFC2919 List-Id (2001). So, I sort on To:
or cc: fields having the list's email address (which can have minor annoying
issues from time-to-time, but aren't a big deal overall). I've been doing this
for so long that it never occurred to me to change my practice.

Also, it seems support for RFC2919 List-Id is not universal even today -- some
presently active lists I'm on don't employ that header field, tho a search
across my archives reveals that such lists are in a distinct minority.

Another aspect to this depends on what MUA folks use, as Murray alludes to.
I.e. whether using list-id is even possible.

HTH,

=JeffH