Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-01 review request

2010-08-10 09:50:13

On 8/9/2010 11:27 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
The whole point of this draft is to talk about these things about which the
general public has little understanding.  There's a lot of collective
subconscious out there that has equated "bad signature" to "bad message", and
perhaps reasonably so.  I think it's better to discuss it in this quasi-BCP
than pretend it's not there and expect everyone to figure it out.

In reviewing your response to John, I'm thinking that part of the initial
'orientation' work of the draft -- probably in section 3.1 -- should add to the
description of the components (origination, MLM, receiver) by documenting the
different scenarios that will be covered, primarily to indicate that basic
types
of choices or effects created by having an MLM in the sequence.

The goal would be to give the reader a snapshot of each combination, so that
that will be in there head when they read the details.

I think much of the challenge of this exercise is deciding how to organize
things, so that readers see the problem space partitioned helpfully and,
therefore, get useful chunks of guidance.  Otherwise it's all overwhelming.

The following list is much longer than I'd like, but I think each entry is for
scenario that is distinctive and significant.  (For reference, I've left some
combinations off, since they didn't seem compelling to me.)

DKIM:

Broken Broken Signatures:

      Origination DKIM -> Non-participating MLM -> Receiving DKIM

Submission enhancement:

      Origination DKIM -> Participating MLM

List reputation:

                          Participating MLM -> Receiving DKIM

End-to-End DKIM:

      Origination DKIM -> Participating MLM -> Receiving DKIM

Besides a discussion of each of these on their own, the possible relationship
between Broken Signatures and End-to-End DKIM would be helpful in terms of the
Origination signature.  I think that, in fact, they produce the same result,
namely a broken signature.

ADSP:

Broken ADSP:

      Origination DKIM+ADSP -> Non-participating MLM -> Receiving DKIM+ADSP

Submission ADSP:

      Origination DKIM+ADSP -> Non-participating MLM

End-to-End ADSP:

      Origination DKIM+ADSP -> DKIM+ADSP Participating MLM -> Receiving
DKIM+ADSP

I don't feel religious about this list.  Anything that works is fine.  The
combinatorials of this problem space are confusing and I'm simply searching for
a way to divide into smaller bits that are easier to digest.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking