Re: [ietf-dkim] what does DKIM do, was draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-01 review request

2010-08-10 23:57:29
-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:49 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: Murray S. Kucherawy
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] what does DKIM do, was draft-ietf-dkim-
mailinglists-01 review request

On the other hand, providing per-contributor reputation clues to
subscribers (beyond what's on the From: line) is something that lists
have never done, so I think it's a poor idea to try to invent ways to
do that.

Does that make sense?

Sure.  I got the impression this was something we should be saying based on
earlier conversation about whether the list should sign coupled with whether
the list should drop author signatures.  Part of that chatter had to do with
combined reputation of the list and the author.  If that's a real concern, then
on one hand a list/you can gain from the reputation of the other, but on the
other hand you can both suffer because of other traffic on the list.  This
seemed to be a logical extension of that discussion.

If we feel that's too much of a leap, I can just remove that paragraph.