Re: [ietf-dkim] what does DKIM do, was draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-01 review request

2010-08-11 12:08:25
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave CROCKER [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:50 AM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] what does DKIM do, was draft-ietf-dkim-
mailinglists-01 review request

I think that the underlying sentiments of this sub-section are
reasonable.  But
I am concerned that it's focus and details are muddled.  Unfortunately
I think
that's because our group sense of the topic is still muddled, rather
than
anything as simple to fix as Murray's writing.  Certainly mine is
muddled.
[...]

I suspect some of the cause of that is that this sort of work necessarily
contains some "forward-looking statements" (to borrow from the financial
sector).  As John likes to point out, we've never filtered email based on this
criterion in the past x years, but in part that's because we've never been able
to do so before.  It's possible this will create a mechanism people will find
more useful or accurate.  I don't want to stifle that possibility before anyone
even has a chance to try it.

We have at best an educated guess about how different signature patterns on a
message, or on a digest of messages, will affect the reputations of the
signers.  I'm torn between describing such a guess in an informational document
and saying nothing at all, if only to get the readers thinking about it as well.

We've decided the industry wants or needs guidance, so we want to give some.
But the work starts to suffer when the thinking drifts into navel-gazing.  I
don't have any problem admitting that I can be guilty of it; I'd rather be
thinking about it than not.

Anyhow, this is what reviewers are for.  :-)

-MSK