Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-01 09:16:22
At this point, unless we can cut back the MLM document to stick to
items that we have consensus about, e.g., that it is typical for
signatures applied to incoming mail not to verify after a message
passes through an MLM, and that it would be nice if a list or its MTA
signed its outgoing mail, I don't think we will produce anything that
is useful to anyone.

If that's all we can say, I'd say don't bother.  I don't see much value in the
DKIM working group saying it thinks mail should be signed by DKIM.

"e.g." means "such as" or "for example."

I expect there's a fair amount we agree on.  Maybe it's enough to be
worth documenting, maybe not, but I think it would be more productive
to see what we agree on rather than trying to force our pet projects
into the document.

I'll cheerfully give up references to S/MIME, if other people will
give up on telling software developers how to rewrite MLMs to do
things they've never done before.

Don't forget that an experimental RFC is the accepted way to document
a paper design to see if it gets any traction, as the EAI group did
with various ways to represent non-ASCII e-mail addresses.

R's,
John