Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-10 21:21:51
This is not the only potential use of such a feature.  I've spoken
to one MLM developer who told me the feature has been previously
requested for privacy reasons nothing to do with DKIM or ADSP.

That sounds like a somewhat different feature.  What we've been
talking about so far is basically the old percent hack, embedding one
address in another in a way that makes it obvious what the embedded
address is.  A privacy feature would presumably use an opaque token
that only the MLM could relate to the target address.  They deal with
different problems, and I can see a lot more merit in the blinding
than in the percent hack.  There's prior art for both which anyone
planning to implement something should be aware of, e.g. every mailer
in the 1980s and 1990s that had a percent hack or equivalent, and
blinded remailers like anon.penet.fi.

For the zillionth time, anyone who actually thinks this is worth doing
should spend an hour and WRITE IT DOWN as an Experimental I-D.  If it's
not worth documenting, it's certainly not worth implementing.

R's,
John