Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-04 18:37:32
In part, the issue is being addressed in draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists
already.  I'm questioning whether we can get away with saying that a
MLM "is /likely/ to invalidate any or all of" a message's signatures.
 Reputation considerations suggest that author domains may want MLMs
to behave consistently in this respect.

They may want that, but if we're documenting what MLMs do, I don't think
they can have what they want.  The conditions under which an MLM will
break a signature are very hard to describe.

As a typical example, many MLMs add a subject line tag, but if the tag is
already present it leaves the line alone.  So one message might arrive
with a broken signature, and the next, a response to the first message
which already has the tag in its subject line, might arrive with a valid
signature.

So "is likely to invalidate" is as specific as we can reasonably be.

R's,
John