Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-10 14:22:03

On Sep 10, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Charles Lindsey wrote:

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 15:15:37 +0100, Hector Santos
<hsantos(_at_)isdg(_dot_)net> wrote:

I think you need to better appreciate and understand how fundamental
the "Message" From field for any forms of communications and/or mail
networks is.  It would be a radical change to open up this door and
"Pandora box" to make it the norm and mindset that a From: is
unreliable. Not saying it is not prone to abusive, but fundamentally,
when people believe in the message, they also make that natural
trusted tie to the author of the message.

Yes, but nobody is trying to change that. We seem to be agreed that what a
mailing list sends is, from some POV, a "new" message, and so logically a
new "From:" is not wholly out of order.

What's the benefit to this, though, other than obscuring the original
author?

Cheers,
  Steve