Re: [ietf-dkim] detecting header mutations after signing

2010-10-08 00:41:43
I'm scratching my head to see if there is any advice we can offer to make
signing and verification more robust while not changing the behavior of
existing code for normal (for some definition of normal messages).

A) You have to sign either all occurences of a header or none of them, and
a message with some but not all occurences signed fails verification. This
is probably too strong, although I doubt that there are many places in
practice where it would matter.

B) Same as A, but limited to an enumerated set of headers that are
supposed to occur only once.

c) Same as B, but tell signers to use the h= trick to make verification
fail if extra headers show up.

Realistically useful advice probably has to influence rendering of
messages. That might mean MUA participation or it might mean mailstore
participation that removes all (typically) rendered headers that are
unsigned.

That raise a pre-cursor question as to whether DKIM is intended to
offer rendered-to-user value? If not, then this whole discussion is
moot. If so, then that implies greater participation from the
rendering process.

Mark.