Re: [ietf-dkim] Collected data

2010-10-13 12:58:36
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Jim Fenton
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:42 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Collected data

[sticking with Murray's subject line so as not to create two thread
breakages!]

I don't have any data on how many messages had DK signatures as well as
DKIM signatures, but at least some do (I checked some I received). I
don't quite understand your question.  The ambiguity that is created
has to do with the DKIM result, not the DK result.

With this change, a DKIM signature referencing a "g=" key might verify if the
verifier elects to enable this backward compatibility feature.

Without this change (i.e. the more strict posture), a DKIM signature
referencing a "g=" key won't verify ever.  But that's the same as an unsigned
message.

The harm in the apparent ambiguity seems minimal; it's no worse than if the
signature or key was completely malformed somehow.  So is the distinction
important?