Re: [ietf-dkim] Take two (was Re: Proposal for new text about multiple header issues)

2010-10-26 11:01:55

On Oct 26, 2010, at 1:49 AM, Hector Santos wrote:

I will not pretend to know (nor really care) what it will take to get
over this documentation dilemma but I will provide my comments here:

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
8.14 Malformed Inputs

DKIM allows additional header fields to be added to a
signed message without breaking the signature.

DKIM does not "allow" additional header fields.

Yes, it does. Section 5.4 of 4871 goes into quite a lot of detail about that,
and explains explicitly that you should list a header n+1 times if there are n
copies of it already if you don't want to allow more headers to be added, or
not if you do.

It's also quite clear about the need to sign user-visible fields.

All we're doing in this thread is pulling those two points together, and adding
a dash of observed MUA behaviour w.r.t. messages with multiple Subject headers.

Cheers,
  Steve