Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM Japan has been set up

2010-11-21 20:46:03

Thanks, Bill, Mark and Byung-Hee for the warm welcome.

Yes, we gotta start something somewhere and glad to
let you know that we are staring something here.
If possible, let's work together for the spread out
in eastern asia, Byung-Hee.

Well, let me give you the first feedback of what's
been discussed at the point of implementation here,
and I would like to ask your opinions.

Here is our stuation. Members of dkim.jp so far circulate
somewhat like 30% of domestic emails and a lot more forged
emails coming from overseas, especially forged @yahoo.co.jp
and @rakuten.co.jp. So with the initiative of those two
companies and others, we got together to get rid of those
forged emails.

Senders in dkim.jp are committed to attach DKIM signature
withing 6 months, and possibly ready to write their ADSP
"discardable". Since we have major ISPs on our member list
and they are very willing to discard unveryfied emails,
no surprise about it :-), we are trying to inch up to the
level where all domestic emails are signed and verified.

But there is a small problem. It is rather polical.
We have a telecommunication law that allows ISPs to discard
forged email, but our Ministry so far does not acknowledge
that failure of DKIM verification immediately equals to
forgery, because there could be other reasons to fail.

We can fight about it taking time to get through to dull
Japanese bureaucracy, but I think there is a faster way.
It is to let senders to have an option to declare that
if there is no DKIM signature at all, verifiers can discard
those messages. Then we can shut their mouths insisting
there could be other reasons.

So, my point is that what do you think of the idea to have
an new entry in ADSP "discard-if-no-sig", which allows
senders to declare messages without DKIM signature should
be discarded?

If that's possible, it makes our job a lot easier and faster.

Thanks,

Tsuneki Ohnishi