[ietf-dkim] Open issues in RFC4871bis

2011-04-01 16:15:30
In our conference call with Jim, Dave and I are left with three things that
need discussion in the working group before we request a working group last
call on it.

The first, and biggest, is the removal of "i=" that Jim has proposed
separately, so please comment on that thread.

Two lesser issues are:

1) The document currently talks about authors signing their mail, when authors
really don't sign their mail, ADMDs do.  The point of the objection is that it
might be wiser to talk about actual uses only and not include possible uses.
The suggestion is thus to remove the idea that an author can do signing,
changing it to "authors' organizations" or perhaps "authors' ADMDs".  Is there
support for this, or support against making that change, or does it not really
matter?

2) The document has text related to "assessment".  Does an "independent
assessment service" fit into the DKIM model?  Again, the issue is whether or
not we want to include discussion of uses that are possible but uncommon.  Is
there support for this change, or support against making the change, or does it
not really matter?

The text in question is this:

2.3.  Identity

   A person, role, or organization.  In the context of DKIM, examples
   include the author, the author's organization, an ISP along the
   handling path, an independent trust assessment service, and a mailing
   list operator.

We'd like to hand a revision to the chairs by April 10th to start WGLC, so
please weigh in sooner rather than later on all three of these points so we can
get some idea of consensus opinion and prepare the drafts accordingly.

-MSK