Re: [ietf-dkim] Open issues in RFC4871bis

2011-04-02 04:01:15
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

The text in question is this:

2.3.  Identity

   A person, role, or organization.  In the context of DKIM, examples
   include the author, the author's organization, an ISP along the
   handling path, an independent trust assessment service, and a mailing
   list operator.

Sorry, but for the record I can't help to feel there is something
wrong, a sense of conflict of interest,  with this inclusion of
"independent trust assessment service."  We could be also fair and
independent with foresight for additional future DKIM assessment
models and future business markets and this in as well:

      "Centralized Repository Domain POLICY Service Bureaus"

which may not be based on d= only. When your definition includes other
entities such as the author, you need to also thru in POLICY if you
are going to include this "independent trust assessment service."  To
be on par with the mail system form of the other identities you have,
it seems to ne "signer domain" would be enough, we get it.

If you really bent on this, maybe using

     [independent] signer assessment source|agent

would smell better.

-1 to have this wording you proposed.

--
Hector Santos, CTO