Re: [ietf-dkim] Work group future

2011-04-02 03:50:25
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John R. Levine
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 2:40 PM
To: Rolf E. Sonneveld
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Work group future

By closing down the WG the momentum will be lost;

There's plenty of momementum in MAAWG and other operational fora.  The
IETF is about standards development.  You don't get deployment by keeping
a standards WG going.

+1.

MAAWG has been the incubator for a lot of ideas and energy that fed into
standards work, most notably ARF but also some aspects of DKIM, SPF and Sender
ID.  It has a broad membership base (http://www.maawg.org/about/roster) so
their constituency in terms of gathering deployment experience and input is
substantial and ideal for this sort of work.  And there are lots of smaller
efforts starting to pop up that are putting forward ideas in this area as well.
 There's no lack of momentum.

In terms of chartered items, we've done 1 and 5 insofar as we have documents
getting ready to go to the IESG, but we've been spinning our wheels on the rest
for a long time now.  WGs are expensive to spin up and operate, and if we're
not getting anywhere then it's appropriate to go dormant or shut down
completely.  A new working group can spin up to tackle those issues someday
when there's real progress to be made.

And I think that's a better use of everyone's time.