Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

2011-04-04 16:15:16

On Apr 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

I think you are thinking it as only a DNS issue.

But creating a sub-domain, means that the from needs to match too, therefore
you may need to remap all your corporate email addresses from
jon(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com to jon(_at_)corp(_dot_)ieec(_dot_)com to separate
from the emails sent by your application at iecc.com (if you want to keep the
first party signing)

There's a tautology there.

You're saying "I'd have to do <first part signing> (if I want to do first party
signing)."

There's no DKIM requirement to do that, and signing an email From:
jon(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com with d=corp.iecc.com (or d=foo.blighty.com) is just
fine.

If someone chooses to do solely "first party signing" (for some non-DKIM
related reason) they're sacrificing many of the advantages of using DKIM to
authenticate email, and the ability to differentiate streams of email is one of
those advantages.

Cheers,
  Steve