Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

2011-04-05 14:15:25
-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:48 AM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: IETF DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

You had me up to (c).  If I do believe you, why wouldn't I act on your
assertions?

Because very few assertions are useful in mail sorting.  As it happens,
all of the i= fields in mail I sign are real, in the sense that they
reflect an account name that signed in with a password.  Now that you know
that, how will you change your mail handing?

I have lots of mailboxes internally that have mail shoveled to them based on
From:.  If the mail is from a source that I trust, "i=" would be just as useful
that way.

As a filtering agent at the border, or one protecting lots of sites (a
cloud-based filter maybe), I could use "i=" as supplementary reputation
information if it's from a domain that I generally trust.  So mail from
example.com, which has a good reputation or is whitelisted, can be further
vetted using "i=" since I implicitly trust it's being used properly.