Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

2011-04-05 16:26:27

On 4/5/2011 12:29 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
I have lots of mailboxes internally that have mail shoveled to them
based on From:.  If the mail is from a source that I trust, "i=" would
be just as useful that way.

We all filter on From:.  If you know the domain is well-behaved, what's
the point of using i= rather than From: ?

This thread has a basic flaw:  it is predicated on a a particular
interpretation
of i=, which is undocumented and certainly not standardized.

If folks want to have a discussion about filtering based on a validated author
identifier or address, they should start with a construct that is standardized
to provide that.  Currently, there is no such construct.

As for any thought that i= could be made into that construct, I think the
reasons that are not practical have been explained at length.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking