Re: [ietf-dkim] Ticket 23 -- l= and Content-type

2011-05-01 20:42:21

Is this new text for section 9.1 Misuse of Body Length Limits ("l=" Tag)?

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

    INFORMATIVE IMPLEMENTATION NOTE: Using body length
    limits enables an attack in which an attacker modifies a
    message to include content that solely benefits the
    attacker. It is possible for the appended content to
    completely replace the original content in the end
    recipient's eyes, such as via alterations to the MIME
    structure or exploiting lax HTML parsing in the MUA,
    and to defeat duplicate message detection algorithms.
    To avoid this attack, signers should be wary of using
    this tag, and verifiers might wish to ignore the tag,
    {DKIM 2} perhaps based on other criteria.

I'm worried that without this, a neophyte won't see what the attack is.

I'm fine with the proposed simplification of 9.1, and I
think at least Dave and JD have +1'd it already as well.

Is that acceptable?

+1.

Small note if you are concern about "neophytes."   There are sentences
where "l=" is referenced where it sounds like the tag is expected to
be there or needs to used.   So maybe an addition sentence can be
appended to above:

      Signers do not need to add the "l=" tag to the signature
      if they are signing the entire body.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com