Re: [ietf-dkim] Question: ADSP DKIM=UNKNOWN and A-R reporting

2011-05-03 09:04:14
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector Santos
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:29 AM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: [ietf-dkim] Question: ADSP DKIM=UNKNOWN and A-R reporting

RFC5617 has for this tag value:

    dkim=   Outbound Signing Practices for the domain (plain-text;
            REQUIRED).  Possible values are as follows:

            unknown   The domain might sign some or all email.

For my A-R reporting if there an explicit DKIM=UNKNOWN record, I took
this declaration to mean the domain only allows it to sign sometimes
and no one else.

That's not what RFC5617 says.

For example, this is such a reporting for a list message posted here
by Alessandro with its tana.it domain.

  dkim=pass header.i=mipassoc.org header.d=mipassoc.org header.s=k00001;
  adsp=fail policy=unknown author.d=tana.it signer.d=mipassoc.org
(unauthorized signer);

The "(unauthorized signer)" was added because it was an explicit
DKIM=UKKNOWN DNS record declaration.

Reporting a "fail" against "dkim=unknown" is technically impossible.  You
should use "unknown".  See Section 5.4.

Also, it should be "dkim-adsp", not "adsp".  See Section 5.3.

If there was no ADSP record, the adsp= info would look like this:

  adsp=none author.d=tana.it signer.d=mipassoc.org;

"none" doesn't appear in the registry.