Re: [ietf-dkim] 8bit downgrades

2011-05-25 13:08:46
Alessandro, with the undotting leading dot fix, I went back and adding
code to adjust for this by undotting it in the C14N code and what a
major difference compared to the failed rate listed before:

      Failure rates for level encoding type (OLD)
| enctype               total       bodyfail     pct     |
| 8bit                  31          25           80.6    |
|                       5461        1236         22.6    |
| binary                5           1            20.0    |
| quoted-printable      1188        179          15.0    |
| base64                32          3             9.3    |
| 7bit                  1465        106           7.2    |

       Failure rates for encoding type (NEW)
| enctype             total   bodyfail   pct   |
|----------------------------------------------|
| 8bit                31      22         71.0  |
| binary              5       1          20.0  |
| base64              32      3          9.4   |
| quoted-printable    1206    107        8.9   |
| 7bit                1654    85         5.1   |
|                     5512    188        3.4   |

|                       OLD          NEW       |
| hash                  bodyfail     bodyfail  |
|----------------------------------------------|
| relaxed/relaxed       1085         238       |
| relaxed/simple        276          56        |
| simple/simple         215          112       |

Overall

   OLD: 18.7% failure
   NEW:  4.8% failure

and the major contributor to this is that I have no more
facebookmail.com failures!

When I remove the domains I know, the rest is pretty much spam. :)

Hector Santos wrote:
Alessandro Vesely wrote:

For example, MTAs that autoconvert from quoted-printable to 8bit, a
rather common circumstance.

I did the following Content-Transfer-Encoding failure analysis:

     Failure rates for message top level encoding type
| enctype               total       bodyfail     pct     |
| 8bit                  31          25           80.6    |
|                       5461        1236         22.6    |
| binary                5           1            20.0    |
| quoted-printable      1188        179          15.0    |
| base64                32          3             9.3    |
| 7bit                  1465        106           7.2    |

Based on my PCN, 8bit does have a high rate of failure, but they are a
very small amount of the grand total.  The encoding types; QP, base64
and 7bit offers the better lower failure rate.  Except for the 3
base64 fails, but I can't tell if they originated that way or not. I
will take a SWAG that these represent direct messages and were not
going thru a list.

It would be interesting to see what Murray can show for his volume
collection.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com