Re: [ietf-dkim] New canonicalizations

2011-05-30 14:15:40
Steve Atkins wrote:

The most obvious thing that MLMs do that invalidate signatures are 1. append
content to the body and 2. prepend content to the subject line.

+1

Any approach that allows me to replay messages while making those changes
seems to open the door to abuse.

However, we need to see if we can address survivability first before
we can try to mitigate this.  I'm concern not just about what I see
but what is everyone else going to see. We know what is going on.  The
rest are not expected to realize the details.

Of the list I am personally involved with and beginning to sign mail,
I see 100% body hash fail, but when the extra <CRLF> top line is
considered, there is a significant improvement.

| LIST-ID                 SIGNER                FAILS   CRLF-FIX |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| ietf-822.imc.org        cybernothing.org      100%    100%     |
| ietf-822.imc.org        messagingengine.com   100%     61%     |
| ietf-822.imc.org        tana.it               100%      0%     |
| ietf-822.imc.org        mrochek.com           100%      0%     |
| ietf-822.imc.org        ISDG.NET              100%      0%     |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       resistor.net          100%    100%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       messagingengine.com   100%     71%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       gmail.com             100%     58%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       SANTRONICS.COM        100%     11%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       tana.it               100%      0%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       sonnection.nl         100%      0%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       taugh.com             100%      0%     |
| ietf-smtp.imc.org       mrochek.com           100%      0%     |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| ietf.ietf.org           resistor.net          100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           cybernothing.org      100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           cisco.com             100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           mrochek.com           100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           qualcomm.com          100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           iecc.com              100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           gmail.com             100%    100%     |
| ietf.ietf.org           ISDG.NET              100%      0%     |

The domains in caps are mine. I'm signing with l= and not signing the
subject line, except for santronics.com in IETF-SMTP and the 89%
survival are with replies after the subject line has been altered.
But you see other domains survive because the first two list do not
add footers. The last one does and only "l=" people will survive that
(after the CRLF adjustment).

For example, Ned with mrochek.com, all fails but fixed with the <CRLF>
adjustment in the first two list. But since he doesn't sign with "l=",
he still fails the ietf.ietf.org (IETF Discuss) list which does add a
footer.

Overall, I agree with you that the most common MLM changes are the
subject [list-name] tag prefix and the added footer.  We need to deal
with that, for sure, as a highlighted signer recommendation targeting
list mail. But as the table above shows, without the <CRLF> fix it
doesn't matter.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com