Re: [ietf-dkim] Final update to 4871bis for working group review

2011-07-07 05:49:04
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:31:47 +0100, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
wrote:

I actually like Charles's edits except for one paragraph, and, as a
participant, would be happy to change 8.15 accordingly.  The one
problem paragraph is this one:

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Charles Lindsey
<chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
wrote:
   Recall that, when multiple instances of a given header field are
   present, they are signed starting with the last one and working
   upwards (section 5.4.2). A variety of attacks taking advantage of
   this feature can be envisaged. In some, the attacker is himself the
   signer, signing the second of some duplicated field on behalf of his
   own domain, whilst hoping that some lenient MUA will display only the
   first. In others, a genuine signature from the domain under attack is
   obtained by legitimate means, but extra header fields are then added,
   either by interception or by replay.

As Pete has pointed out -- and has he's adamant about -- the signer
can't attack... that is, DKIM can't do anything about "attacks" by the
signer.  And that's as Charles's text itself points out.  So I'd be
happy merging just the last sentence with the next paragraph, and
eliminating the rest:

The signer most certainly CAN attack, but what he is attacking is not
DKIM; rather it is the recipient, or Ebay, or lenient MTAs. DKIM is, in
fact, his weapon of attack.

I carefully included two scenarios in my paragraph, which you quote above,
because they are subtly different attacks. The 1st is the more pernicious
IMHO and the hardest to counter, since the 'h=from:from:' defence does not
work. I therefore regard it as ESSENTIAL that our Security Considerations
give warning of that scenario. Moreover, it is also necessary to draw
attention to the 'working upwards' signing order, which is at the heart of
both scenarios, since that might not otherwise be clear to the reader.

I would be happy to reword my paragraph to make it clear that these
attacks are not against DKIM (although that point is also made strongly in
a later paragraph). How about the following?

    Recall that, when multiple instances of a given header field are
    present, they are signed starting with the last one and working
    upwards (section 5.4.2). This DKIM feature can be deployed to mount a
    variety of attacks against the email system. In some, the attacker is
    also the signer, signing the second of some duplicated field on
    behalf of his own domain, whilst hoping that some lenient MUA will
    display only the first. In others, a genuine signature from the
    domain under attack is obtained by legitimate means, but extra header
    fields are then added, either by interception or by replay.

and then my following paragraph as they stand.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.