Re: [ietf-dkim] The problem with the DKIM design community

2013-07-02 09:14:17
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Michael Deutschmann <
michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Well, not really.  MAIL FROM: is only visible after delivery, so to
avoid dangling signatures one should store its value in some other
header field or... in the i= tag.

ITYM "only visible *before* delivery"

He means "after".  There is no guarantee that the MAIL FROM address appears
anywhere in the signed content of the message; its addition to Received is
non-standard, and although RFC5321 says the addition of Return-Path at the
time of delivery is mandatory, there are some legacy systems that don't
insert it.  If the sender inserts it, it could be removed or replaced in
transit or upon delivery, invalidating the signature.

One could do what you're talking about by inventing a DKIM canonicalization
that includes the MAIL FROM address in one of the two hashes DKIM generates
to produce its signature.  That's easy enough.  I'd like to know what the
gain is, however.  As far as I can tell, by itself, that simply ensures the
same content re-injected anywhere will not produce a "valid" result unless
the MAIL FROM is unchanged.

It seems to me this renders your scheme even more sensitive to failures
than DKIM already is.  Specifically, a mailing list server that resends the
message byte-for-byte identical to the original and only changes the
envelope will cause the signature to be invalid, while DKIM will survive
such re-mailing.

It does mean that if the mail passes through an SPF Sender Rewriting
Scheme forwarder, then it will end up with an unbroken but irrelevant
signature.  Even if that forwarder knows about EDSP, it can't strip the
signature because it can't know that it isn't there to serve a different
accessory protocol yet to be invented.  After all, most of the time MAIL
FROM: = From:, so the signature added for the sake of EDSP will
simultaneously be serving ADSP or DMARC.

There are legitimate cases where this is not true, such as mailing lists
(which was your original complaint about "accessory protocols").

But I don't think that's a problem.  The message will get through,
because the forwarder now owns the MAIL FROM and it's up to him whether an
EDSP check is needed.

The forwarder would have to be EDSP-aware and re-sign the message when
changing the envelope.  That makes a lot of assumptions about all the hosts
through which the message will pass.

-MSK