Re: [ietf-dkim] That weird i= is most probably EDSP

2013-07-02 19:15:38
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
So, if the bounce they get has text/rfc822-headers only, they [...]

This is getting OT, but you can't even count on getting
text/rfc822-headers in a bounce.  I use Exim, a very popular MTA with the
latest stable release just 8 months old, and it doesn't give MIME bounces
*at all*.

But back to EDSP:

I still don't quite see how Return-path:'s special status is such a
problem.  I know that it's only generated from the envelope just before
being written to the mailbox, and never appears in the SMTP transaction
itself, and for that reason it cannot be *covered* by the signature.  But
it can still determine relevance.

If you were to change the From: field of a message signed to pass
ADSP/DMARC, you would make the signature bogus, and also make it
irrelevant if the new address is in a different domain.

If you change just the MAIL FROM: of a message signed to pass EDSP, you
would make the signature irrelevant but not bogus.

But I don't see how the above difference leads to any practical problem.

I suppose a forwarder or other MITM could change only the left-hand-side
of the MAIL FROM: and "get away with it".  But why would they be tempted
to do that?

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>