Re: [ietf-dkim] [dmarc-ietf] draft-kucherawy-dmarc-rcpts

2016-11-13 23:51:39
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Scott Kitterman
<ietf-dkim(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Wouldn't a DMARC option to allow senders to specify only messages that
pass verification and alignment for BOTH SPF and DMARC accomplish the same
result with less complexity and without the layering violation inherent in
this proposal?

Doesn't that presuppose point-to-point handling?  The proposal here doesn't.

DMARC seems to be the policy engine of choice in the community (for better
or for worse).  I think addressing this at the policy level makes more
sense than changing the semantics of DKIM signatures after almost a decade
of deployment.

As the problem was presented to me, I haven't heard that DMARC is
specifically involved here.  It might be (maybe even "probably" is apt),
but I haven't heard that, so I limited this idea to just the DKIM signing
and verifying components of the system.

P.S. With my Debian OpenDKIM maintainer hat on, I'm not immediately
convinced I'd want to enable this feature.  I don't know if other distro
maintainers are on this list or not, but that's one opinion.  It's not
guaranteed to be widely deployed.

Why is this a distribution issue?

-MSK